Asbestos, What is it?

Asbestos is a natural building fibre that was a highly popular building material. It was heavily used in the building industry from the 1950’s onwards up until 2000, and could be present in a variety of buildings and any properties that may have been reconstructed prior to the year 2000.

What you need to know

Any property that was constructed before the year 2000 could contain asbestos, if you come across asbestos you should consider how important it is to have it removed. In removing the asbestos from your property you will have the reassurance that you no longer be at risk to asbestos exposure and the health risks that are associated with it.

What are the dangers?

Asbestos is highly toxic and was used in many building products including flooring, ceiling tiles, insulation, cements and more, In properties that were constructed or refurbished in the period of 1950’s – 2000. Not testing for asbestos can put you and others in the property at risk of inhaling airborne asbestos fibres during the repair or renovation. Asbestos has several links to various diseases such as lung cancer and mesothelioma, Symptoms don’t always present themselves straight away and may not arise 15-60 years after you have been exposed. Generally speaking asbestos is harmless until it becomes airborne, this is usually due to it being disturbed either from refurbishment or repairs.

Why was it used?

Considering asbestos is so dangerous, you may be thinking, why use it in the first place? Asbestos was found to be brilliant in the building industry, due to its insulation properties it was used as insulation and in many products such as flooring, ceiling tiles and even cement. It could withstand high temperatures which allowed it to protect from fire and corrosion.

Posted in: Asbestos Tags: No Comments »